Coach McKinstry and the Leone Stars have drawn 2-2 as Tunisia equalised in the final minute.
Reflecting on a spectacular performance by Sierra Leone which was marred only by an error in the final seconds, Coach McKinsty commented "Naturally everyone is very disappointed at how the game ended. To have controlled the match for such long periods of time against a team ranked some 30 places ahead of us, as well as the attacking intent we showed throughout the encounter, was a mark of the work put in during our first week together."
Reflecting on the changes Coach McKinstry had sought to make during his first week in charge, McKinstry commented "At half time it was clear that the players had really bought into what we were trying to do, and how we wanted to play the game. Leading 1-0 they were confident, and we went out in the second half to try and finish the game off - so it is very disappointing that after having led twice in the game we were to concede an equaliser in the 90th minute..."
McKinstry is mindful of the work that lies ahead, both in the short and long term - "Our task now is to pick the team up ahead of our game in Cape Verde next week where despite the odds being against us in terms of qualification for the World Cup, the mathematics says we are still in with a shout... but more work is required to ensure we convert any chances, such as those that were possible today when we were leading 2-1"
Notes to Editors
- The game is a World Cup 2013 Qualifier against Tunisia on 8 June 2013
- The game is the first in charge for Coach McKinstry who was appointed in April 2013.
- See www.johnnymckinstry.com for a range of information - biography, press releases and photographs for press use.
- To arrange an email or telephone interview, please contact
Download Pictures (for Media Use)
Any of the pictures on this website can be downloaded from our photos / videos page.
- Pictures are free for use in web/print news or social media if unaltered and accompanied by a prominent photo credit e.g. (photo: Darren McKinstry / www.johnnymckinstry.com).
- Pictures should not be used in other promotional material or for reward unless written permission has been obtained.
- Higher resolution photos are also available if required.
- Please contact with any enquiries or requests.