Seychelles Football Association have advised that they are forfeiting their AFCON 2015 qualifier against the Leone Stars. (31 July 2014)
The game had been scheduled for this coming weekend (2 Aug) in Stade Linite, Mahe, Seychelles.
The Seychelles FA have advised that their decision to withdraw from the AFCON 2015 qualifier is due to a decision by their Government Health and Immigration Authorities to deny access to the Sierra Leone delegation to the Seychelles.
Earlier today the Leone Stars had not been permitted to board their transit flight from Kenya to Seychelles. We understand that Seychelles immigration had contacted authorities in Kenya advising that the Sierra Leone delegation would not be permitted entrance to Seychelles.
Seychelles FA have this evening confirmed with CAF their withdrawal from the game and AFCON 2015.
A statement on the Confederation of African Football (CAF) website advises that "Sierra Leone joins Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon and DR Congo in group D of the next phase of the qualifying rounds"
Coach McKinstry said:
"it is obviously very disappointing for us not to be able to complete our travel plans to play the second leg game against the Seychelles. We felt we had put on an impressive performance in Freetown and were looking forward to the away game and to securing victory and progress to the group qualification stage.
Our 2-0 home victory two weeks ago in Freetown has however proved enough and we now look forward to the challenges of Group D of AFCON 2015, beginning next month with our games against Ivory Coast and then the Democratic Republic of the Congo".
NEXT round of AFCON 2015 Qualifiers
Sierra Leone joins Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon and DR Congo in group D for the final phase of qualification for AFCON 2015.
Group D qualifiers are scheduled to be player in September - November 2014.
- 05-06/09/14: Ivory Coast v Sierra Leone
- 10/09/14: Sierra Leone v DR Congo
- 10-11/10/14: Sierra Leone v Cameroon
- 15/10/14: Cameroon v Sierra Leone
- 14-15/11/14: Sierra Leone v Ivory Coast
- 19/11/14: DR Congo v Sierra Leone
For more news and pictures of Leone Stars games and training camps - visit www.johnnymckinstry.com/leonestars
Notes to Editors
- The game was to have been the second game (away leg) in the third round qualifier against Seychelles (2 August 2014) as part of AFCON 2015.
- Sierra Leone won the first game in Freetown, beating Seychelles 2-0 on 19 July 2014
- You can read more about the AFCON 2015 tournament and the Leone Stars fixtures.
- Johnny McKinstry was appointed Head Coach of the Sierra Leone National Men's Football team on 11th April 2013. You can read more about his time in charge of the Leone Stars
- See www.johnnymckinstry.com for a range of information - biography, press releases and photographs for press use.